The Yamaha HTR-6080 is a high end 7.1x105W Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver that was released in 2001 and retails at $1000. This piece is an interesting example of how technology becomes much cheaper with time: Its features are almost identical to the $650 cheaper Yamaha HTR-6040, but has one feature that probably accounted for that huge price increase: the HDMI input (not to mention the 7.1 channels vs the 5.1 channels of course). This feature is standard today and comes in entry level 7.1 receivers as cheap as $300 such as the 2009 Sony STR-DH700. All of its other features are shared by the Yamaha HTR-6040 including: Dolby Digital Pro Logic II decoding, DTS surround sound, XM ready, XMHD surround sound, Neural sound, 6 channel inputs, Cinema DSP digital, Silent Cinema, compressed music enhancer, scene and YPAO automatic system calibration.
- 5.1-channel digital home theater receiver with 500 Watts of maximum power
- HDTV compatible with 3 component video inputs
- 4 SCENE buttons offer easy operation
- XM Ready with XM HD Surround powered by Neural Surround
- YPAO system automatically calibrates the sound in your room