The Sony Pocket Edition PRS-300 is a pocket sized electronic reader with an accessible internal memory of 440MB or a maximum of 350 books. A USB 2.0 connection is included which lets you load e-books and will also charge the internal battery. This product was announced on August 5, 2009 along with the PRS-600 Touch Edition which has a larger touchscreen and accepts Sony Memory Stick Pro DUO and SDHC cards. Features common to both models are horizontal page view mode, choice of design colors, and the support of multiple formats including ePub, BBeB Book, PDF, TXT, RTF and Microsoft Word. The technology used to produce the image on the PRS-300 is called E Ink Vizplex which does not need power to display the words, just to change the page. Non-backlit screen unlike most LCD monitors also means it is not prone to the picture vanishing when bright sunlight is shone on it, it looks like paper and does not need it's own light. Considering the efficiency of this type of technology, it's no wonder the battery can hold a charge for two weeks with almost constant use and is a hit with environmental enthusiasts.
- Display: 5"
- Gray scale: 8-levels
- Internal Memory: 512MB, 440MB accessible
- USB 2.0
- Font Size: 3 adjustable font sizes
- Battery: Sealed internal Lithium-ion/ two weeks of reading on one charge(chargeable via USB)
- Horizontal viewing mode
- Dimensions: 6 1/4 x 4 1/4 x 13/32 inches (LxWxD)
- Formats: ePub (Adobe DRM protected), PDF (Adobe DRM protected), BBeB Book (PRS DRM protected), ePub, BBeB Book, PDF, TXT, RTF, Micrsoft Word, (Conversion to the Reader - requires Word installed on your PC)
- Colors: Navy Blue, Rose Pink and Silver