The Sharp ELITE PRO-70X5FD is a top of the line high end 70 inch LED LCD HDTV announced for release in August of 2011 along with a 60 inch version Elite PRO-60X5FD. Sharp has licensed the Elite name from Pioneer and based most of the technology inside these televisions on Pioneer's renowned yet discontinued Kuro plasma line. Instead of plasma, they employ a full array backlit LED display which is more capable and efficient than cheaper edge-lit designs, and also features local dimming which provides stellar black levels by dimming only certain groups of LED's at any given time for greater control over brightness and darkness in specified areas of the screen. 720hz frame rate is achieved by a unique 240Hz scanning backlit technology, and the Kuro inspired quad pixel display technology adds a fourth yellow pixel to the traditional RGB color palette for a wider reproduction of colors including more vivid yellows and golds. This also makes possible for Sharp's Precision Color Plus, which are four sub pixels made up of smaller dots, totaling 8 million dots per screen for a much more detailed and smooth image. Also found on Elite tv's is Intelligent Variable Contrast, which works in real time to manage all of the internal systems to automatically control brightness and backlight to create depth of color, brilliance, detail and dark areas. Like it's smaller counterpart, the Elite Pro 70X5FD features preloaded apps and WiFi capability to enable streaming from Netflix, CinemaNow, VUDU, Youtube and others as well as audio streaming from sites such as Pandora and Napster, and, it is Skype ready. It also carries a few certifications found in high quality tv's such as THX and ISF, and Elite Advantage Live is an internet help service that allows a personal advisor to remotely connect to the tv and help with setup, picture adjustment and calibration.
- Full array LED display
- 70" class (69 1/2" diagonal)
- Local Dimming
- Intelligent Variable Contrast
- Elegant form factor, with fine, brushed aluminum finish, precision cut mitered bezel and slim cabinet depth round out the television's premium design
- Connectivity to Netflix, VUDU, CinemaNow, YouTube, and others
- 3-D Functionality including two sets of active shutter 3-D glasses
- Elite Advantage Live, which offers an unprecedented level of support via Internet connectivity where a personal adviser can remotely connect to the TV and provide a variety of services such as setup, picture adjustment, or basic calibration.
- THX Certified display – reserved for TVs with best in class picture quality, THX Certified displays deliver movie experiences with the same stunning color and detail found in the filmmaker's studio.
- ISF (Imaging Science Foundation) certification
- Variety of AV modes including Elite Pure Mode, a mode that replicates the settings of previous Elite TVs
- Skype ready (Skype camera kit sold separately)