The Samsung SE-506AB is a compact portable Blu-ray writer that sports buffer under run protection to prevent errors caused by write speed and data transfer timing inconsistencies. It is 12 percent smaller than Samsung's other Blu-ray drives and made eco friendly with lead free soldering and low power USB connection without any other wires needed. You can also connect it to a compatible TV via USB for use as a normal DVD player as well, allowing you to play not only DVD and Blu-ray discs but also BD-R and DVD-R discs containing your own videos, music and photos. It features a high-gloss anti-scratch finish and works with all major operating systems including Mac and Win7, and a variety of speeds and media types are supported with BD Quadruple Layering as outlined below in the features section. This drive has also been improved over earlier models by now recognizing the fifth sub-directory and over 3000 files, whereas earlier drives could only see the first sub-directory and access 1000 files. The SE-506AB was announced on September 2, 2011 for immediate release along with a forthcoming SE-208BW portable CD/DVD Writer in the first quarter of 2012 which has Wi-Fi built-in and can be used as a personal cloud server and media hub.
- Slim and sleek design with a hi-glossy anti-scratch surface
- USB power
- Compatible with all OS, including Win7 and Mac OS
- Buffer Under Run technology
- Watch DVD's on a compatible TV via USB
- The external drive provides a variety of speeds across different data media types featuring BD Quadruple layering. Specific speeds include: 6X BD-ROM, 24X CD-ROM, 24X CD-RW reading and 6X BD-R, 6X BD-R Dual layer, 4X BD-R Quad layer, 8X DVD±R, 5X DVD-RAM, 6X DVD+R Dual Layer, 6X DVD-R Dual Layer, 8X DVD+RW, 6X DVD-RW recording.