The Nikon Action 8x40 are mid-range, standard-sized binoculars similar to the Nikon Action 7x50. Although they lack the 50mm objective lens diameter of the 7x50s, the 8x40s sport a greater 8x magnification as well as an expanded field of view (430 ft at 8x as opposed to the 7x50s' 335 ft at 7x). Otherwise, the Action 8x40s sport the same features as the rest of Nikon's Action line, namely: durable rubber-armoured coating and multi-coated eyepiece lenses.
The 8x40s' smaller objective lens diameter provides somewhat dimmer performance than 50mm objective diameter binoculars; however, the 8x40s' porro prism system provides them with an expanded field of view while their lens diameter balances dim light performance and field of view. Their durable rubber-armoured coating offers the 8x40s greater protection from general harm while also reducing dropping as it provides better grip. Additionally, the 8x40s' multi-coated eyepiece lenses reduce light loss and glare for brighter, higher-contrast images.
- Porro prism system for greater depth perception
- 8x magnification and a 40mm objective diameter
- Smooth central focus knob for fast range of focus
- Multicoated lenses and BaK4 prisms deliver bright, high-resolution images
- Durable and protective, rubber-armored coating
- Field of view at 1000 yards: 430 ft
- Nikon Action 8x40 RealTree APG ($99.95) - identical to the regular Nikon Action 8x40 but sports a camouflage finish.