The SB-700 Speedlight Shoe Mount Flash from Nikon is a medium-sized on-camera flash, designed for use with Nikon i-TTL DSLR cameras. Three light distribution patterns are available that include "Standard" for normal low-light image capture, "Center-weighted" for portraits and "Even" for multiple subjects and interior landscapes. Automatic format identification helps to sense whether the user's camera is in FX or DX mode to apply a pre-configuration amount of flash, while a similarly-functioning color filter is available to identify hard color types and adjust white balance accordingly. Wireless flash control enables the SB-700 to be used as a remote speedlight with compatibility for up to three groups with four-channel outputting to minimize signal discrepancy in multi-camera scenarios. The unit also features "Auto Power Zoom Coverage" for versatile support of many lens types ranging from 24 to 120 millimeters. Rotary dial selection provides time-efficient configuration, while overheating is minimized via an increase in flash recycle damage to prevent long-term damage.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some major differences between SB-600 and SB-700?
SB-700 has a faster recycling time. An improved power switch and a built-in bounce card that SB-600 lacks.
Add New FAQ
- Nikon SB-700 speedlight shoe mount flash
- AS-22 speedlight stand - holds flash in place during multiple flash set-up.
- SW-14H diffusion dome - helps dffuse light from the speedlight to soften shadows.
- SZ-3TN incandescent filter- modify the color temperature of the flash to match that of a scene illuminated with incandescent (tungsten) light. Ideal for indoor shooting.
- SZ-3FL fluorescent filter - modify the color temperature of the flash to match that of a scene illuminated with fluorescent light. Ideal for places with fluorescent lighting such as parking garages and offices.
- SS-700 soft case
- 1-year warranty card
- User's manual
Nikon FX/DX format digital SLR cameras (except D1 series and D100), F6, COOLPIX cameras (P7000, P6000).
Alkaline - 2.5 sec./160 - 30 sec.
Evolta - 2.5 sec./230 - 30 sec.
Lithium - 3.5 sec./330 - 30 sec.
NiMH(2600 mAh) - 2.5 sec./260 - 30 sec.
NiMH(eneloop) - 2.5 sec./230 - 30 sec.
*When firing the Speedlight at full output one every 30 seconds.
Dot-matrix LCD control panel: It derives power from AA batteries -- supporting rechargeable NiMH, disposable Alkaline, and disposable Lithium cells.
Thermal Cut-Out: Detection prevents the flash from overheating. It increases the recycling time if the temperature of the flash head crosses a certain threshold, preventing the unit from becoming damaged.
Color Filters: The strobe includes hard plastic-type color filters for fluorescent and incandescent color temperature balancing. When using these supplied filters, the flash is able to recognize which filter is installed, adjusting the white balance automatically on compatible Nikon DSLR cameras.
Head Swivel: Bounce 90° up and 7° down with 360° rotation.
Wireless Flash Control: Wireless Commander Mode controls up to 2 remote Speedlight groups and an unlimited number of compatible Speedlights. When used as a remote speedlight up to 3 Groups can be selected. Four wireless channel options help manage wireless conflicts in multi-photographer environments.
Controls and Menus: Rotary power switch to turn on or off the SB-700.
Flash Value (FV) Lock: Locks in a specific flash output on the main subject, regardless of aperture, composition or the lens's zoom position.
- Mount Shoe
- Guide number 92' (28.04 m) ISO100 at 35 mm position
- TTL Yes
- Bounce Head 90° up and 7° down
- Coverage 24 mm - 120 mm (Full frame)
- Zoom head 24 mm - 120 mm
- Recycle Time 2.5 seconds - 3.5 seconds
- Power source Four AA-type alkaline (1.5V), lithium (1.5V) or Ni-MH (1.2V) batteries
- Flash Mode i-TTL, manual flash, distance-priority manual flash
- Flash Duration Approx. 1/1042 sec. at full output