Midland GXT1000VP4 5 50 Channel Waterproof GMRS Radios with NOAA Weather/All Hazard Alert. Includes Rechargeable Batteries, Dual Desktop Charger, Headsets and 12 volt Vehicle Adapter, Pair Packed. The GXT1000VP4 features the standard 22 GMRS Channels plus an additional 28 Channels. The GXT1000 meets the JIS4 Standard of exposure to water for 30 minutes and features the Maximum Power allowed for GMRS Handheld Radios for up to a 36-Mile Range. Weather Scan finds the nearest NOAA broadcast to stay up to date with the latest weather and hazard information. In addition to important weather announcements, All Hazards Alert means the GXT1000VP4 will receive other emergency announcements such as Child Abduction (Amber Alert), Nuclear Power Plant Warnings, Biological Hazard, Fire, and Landslide Warnings. New features for 2009 include the Whisper feature which allows you to speak quietly and still be heard clearly by others and SOS to send out a distress sound for emergency situations.
The Group Call allows you to make "direct calls" to other people within the group without alerting the entire group. The GXT1000VP4 features a Vibrating Alert for silent notification and 9 Level E Vox for Hands Free operation. Additional features are 142 Privacy Codes, Scan of the 50 Channels, Hi/Med/Low Power Settings, 10 Call Alerts, Keypad Lock, and Battery Save Circuit. Unlike other GMRS radios on the market that use lithium batteries, Midland's Dual Power Option allows the use of the included rechargeable batteries or 4 "AA" batteries (Not included).
- 22 Channels PLUS 28 EXTRA CHANNELS - Clear, crisp communication with easy button access.
- Up to 36 Mile Range - Longer range communication in open areas with little or no obstruction.
- 142 Privacy Codes - Gives you up to 5560 channel options to help you block other conversations.
- NOAA Weather Alert Radio with Weather Scan - Automatically locks on to your local weather channel and alerts you to severe weather.
- SOS Siren - Allows you to send out distress/locator signals in an emergency situation.
- JIS4 Waterproof - Protection against light rain or splashing water from all directions on the radio.
- Whisper - Allows you to speak quietly and still be heard clearly by others.
- Group Call - Allows you to make "direct calls" to other people within the group without alerting the entire group.
- eVOX - Hands-Free Operation (9 levels) with easy voice activation--no need for an external microphone.
- X-TRA TALK Power - Maximum allowed by law.
- Weather Scan - Easily scans the active weather channel in your area.
- Direct Call - Allows you to instantly contact one member of your party without alerting the others.
- 10 Call Alerts - Different call tones to notify you of incoming calls from your group.
- Channel Scan - Automatically checks channels for activity.
- Dual Watch - Lets you monitor two channels.
- Vibrate Alert - Provides silent page / call notification.
- Auto Squelch - Removes annoying background noise.
- Keypad Lock - Locks in your selected settings.
- Monitor - Checks for any activity within your channel.
- HI/MED/LO Power Settings - Lets you adjust transmit power & conserve battery life.
- Roger Beep - Indicates call completion.
- Silent Operation - Turns off all tones for quiet operation.
- Bright Backlit Display [LCD] - Easy to read day or night.
- Keystroke Tones Audible tones with each key press
- Mic and Headphone Jacks
- Battery Life Extender - Provides longer battery life.
- Drop-in Charger Capable
- Dual Power Options - 4 standard "AA" batteries (not included) or rechargeable batteries.
Midland Radio Corporation is an international industry leader in wireless communications with affiliates in Italy, Bulgaria, Germany, Poland, Russia, Spain, and the United Kingdom, as well as representation in Latin America. Midland develops high quality consumer products such as GMRS Two-Way Radios, Citizen Band (CB) Radios, Marine Radios, Bluetooth intercom systems, and All Hazards/Weather Alert Radios. Also, as a leading manufacturer of Land Mobile Radios, Midland supplies professional grade analog and digital (P25 Technology) Portables, Mobiles and Base Stations/Repeaters for government entities such as forestry, public safety, and other commercial users.
Known in the '70s primarily for CB radios and household electronics, Midland has grown with the times by producing innovative new communications products and by actively promoting public emergency preparedness. Midland has manufactured quality Two-Way Radios for the last 50 years and is a market leader in several individual categories.
Pair of radios, belt clips, desktop charger, rechargeable batteries, pair of mic headsets, AC wall adapter, DC (vehicle) adapter and owner's manual
Frequently Asked Questions
How much range can I expect from these radios in rugged, mountainous and forested terrain?
Theres actually no rule of thumb for radios. Line of sight with a good antenna a 500mW radio like this one will get quite far, specially if you're high up compared to the ground and outside the city. You'll get 36 miles that way.
In the forest, no line of sight, near city, you'd be lucky get even get a mile... but if you have a very good radio you wouldn't get much more!
Doubling the power output will give you 1.6x theoretical range (not 2x!) and not even that in reality if its not line of sight.
That means if you get 1 mile with 1 watt you certainly never get 2 miles on 2 watts.
For short range tho, its a good/cheap radio for sure. More expensive radios wont get you a lot further without having proper antennas and placement.
Do I need a gmrs license?
You only need a gmrs license for channels 15-22, and also for channels 1-7 only if you use more than .5W (low power). You don't need a license to use channels 1-14 at one half Watt. These radios will transmit at "high power" on channels 1-7 though, so that would require a license, although technically noone would know you were doing that, anyhoo, just getting technical here.
Add New FAQ
- Channels 50
- Charger 120V
- Range 36-mile
- Batteries 8 AA batteries required