tThe ThinkPad R61 was Lenovo's last generation mainstream laptop offering. Built on the now outdated Centrino platform, the R61 contained Intel Core 2 Duos, DDR2 memory and the X3000 series display adapters. However, much like on the T series, the R series allows for a discrete video card to be included for improved 3D and video performance. Coming in 15" and 14" varieties the R61 weighs 5.2 pounds and can last a minimum 2.5 hours on a single charge. It has recently been replaced by the R400 (14") and R500 (15"), which come with faster CPUs, ram and onboard video. Unlike the T series, the R series is heavier, utilizes cheaper components and contain smaller touchpads, all assumed insignificant compared to the savings offered for non-professional users.
- Platform: Centrino, Intel C2D
- Graphics: 14.1 or 15.4" Widescreen (1280×800 or 1440x900) powered by the Intel X3100 (shared memory) or nVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M
- Network connectivity: ThinkPad 11b/a/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Express Adapter (Intel Wi-Fi Link 4965AGN optional) 1Gb Ethernet Card, WWAN optional
- I/O & Expansion: 3 USB 2.0; DisplayPort; VGA; AC adapter; RJ-11, RJ-45; CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo 24X/24X/24X/8X Max, Ultrabay Slim (Serial ATA); audio: headphone/line-out/external microphone;
- Battery: 6-cell or 9-cell