The JBL ES90 is a 4-way floor-standing loudspeaker that sports dual 8” proprietary PolyPlas shielded low-frequency subwoofers, a 4” PolyPlas shielded midrange, and one ¾” titanium-laminate tweeter mounted In Elliptical Oblate Spheriodal waveguides for improved high-frequency dispersion anywhere in the room. The second floor-standing speaker in the JBL ES series, the JBL ES90 is a cousin to the dual 6” ES80. Although the JBL ES90 has larger subwoofers (8” versus 6”), the down-size is that it offers a more narrow frequency range (36Hz-20kHz versus 45Hz-40kHz). It should be noted though that its lower frequency and improved sensitivity (91dB versus 90dB) does provide more ground-shaking bass, but inferior treble. In addition, the JBL ES90 comes equipped with a bass-reflex port for extended bass responses, EOS waveguides that evenly disperse high frequencies to deliver a more accurate imaging, a straight-line signal path crossover network that preserves clarity and detail, and cellulose-fiber cones reinforced with a Polmer coating for a “uniform pistonic motion” and results in no internal resonance and a more precise base. The JBL ES90 also features a super-elegant cabinet design with a slender profile built from a wood-like and textured high-quality vinyl. The JBL ES90 is priced at $299.99, the exact same price as the JBL ES80. Deciding between the two requires choosing which is important: greater bass or more accurate treble.
- Frequency Response: 36Hz – 20kHz (–6dB)
- Maximum Recommended Amplifier Power: 225 Watts
- Power Handling (Continuous/Peak): 110 Watts/440 Watts
- Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms
- Sensitivity (2.83V/1m): 91dB
- Crossover Frequencies: 500Hz, 3000Hz – 24dB/octave; 12000Hz – 18dB/octave
- Low-Frequency Transducers: Dual 8” (200mm) PolyPlas; shielded
- High-Frequency Transducer: 3/4" (19mm) Titanium-laminate dome, shielded, EOS
- Midrange Transducer: 4” (100mm) PolyPlas, shielded waveguide
- Dimensions (H x W x D): 42-11/16" x 10-1/4" x 15-1/8"
- Weight : 53.4 lb (24.2kg)