The HP Photosmart A636 is a $150 Compact photo printer that is an upgrade to last year's A626, with a few minor software differences. This piece has been praised for its improved photo quality prints, a lot of editing features, a large touchscreen and a small size overall. It has been criticized for its slower than average printing performance. It is compactly designed, with everything in it being able to fold for convenient storage. It has a large 4.8" color touchscreen that allows for much easier and better photo editing. It can hold 20 sheets of photo paper in 4x6" and 5x7" all the way up to 4x12" panaromas. It comes included with all the installation files necessary.
One especially cool feature is the ability to edit directly from a memory card, a USB key or PictBridge enabled digital camera. It prints pages at about .63 pages/min. Which is average, but not near as fast as the quickest portable photo printer, the Epson PictureMate Dash PM260 that leads at 1.42 pages per minute.
- Print speed: As fast as 27 sec (with border, direct connect)
- Print quality (black, best quality): Up to 1200 x 1200 dpi
- Print quality (colour, best quality): Up to 4800 x 1200 optimised dpi (on HP Advanced Photo Paper)
- Display: 12 cm touch screen colour display (8.9 cm viewing area)
- Print head nozzles: 600 colour ink nozzles
- Number of print cartridges: HP Vivera 3-ink colour
- Standard memory: 64 MB