Dell Adamo, available for purchase from Dell's website in March 2009, is a sleek laptop that many see as an attempt by Dell to replicate the coolness factor of Apple's laptops (surprisingly, it also matches the Mac's price: the Adamo is offered in two models priced at $1,999 and $2,699). Who is this laptop targeted for? Critics are wondering themselves. Many see it as a diversion of Dell's traditional target market who are people who want value, functionality, flexibility, performance, and choice, and have little regard for the coolness factor which, they argue, should be left to its undisputed owner: the Apple Macbooks.
In terms of design, the Adamo is actually thinner than the current Macbook (.65" vs .95", even thicker than the macbook air! .65" vs .75") and lighter than Macbook (4 lb vs 5.5 lb, but heavier than macbook air - 4 lb vs 3 lb) and it is also a unibody aluminum construction (same as mac). It has a razor sharp edge around the monitor, and flat closely spaced blacklit keyboard buttons similar to the mac. Unlike previous dell laptops, this one is minimalist: the usual brand and and regulatory stickers have been removed and the information has been removed to the bottom. It also has a handful of LED lights, as opposed to the wide array of lighting selection offered in other models. Dell also created a custom Windows Vista theme for the system, called Adamo Ice.
It has a 1.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo U9300 (notably slower than the macbook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, and a little slower than the macbook air which is at 1.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo). All three laptops (Adamo, Macbook and Macbook air) have 2 GB RAM. This one will have a flash storage disk of 128 GB SSD.
- 1.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor with Centrino technology
- Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Service Pack 1 64-Bit
- 2GB 800MHz DDR3 dual-channel memory
- 128GB solid state drive
- Super-thin 13.4-inch 16:9 (High Definition; 720p) WLED display
- Full-size keyboard with back-lighting and scalloped, metallic key cap design
- Integrated 1.3 megapixel camera and integrated digital microphone
- IO: Display Port, USBx3 (1 eSATA combination), Audio Out and integrated RJ-45 port
- Communications: Gigabit LOM, Bluetooth 2.1, 802.11n (3x3)
- 5+ hr battery life using Li-Polymer cells; 40 Whr
- Dimensions: (w x d x h) 13.03 x 9.5 x 0.65 in (331 x 242 x 16.39 mm)
- Weight: 1.81 kg (4.0 lb)
- 90 Days of Adamo Premium Service (US Only) (Select Configurations)