Definitive Technology UIW RCS II are high-end, in-ceiling speakers designed to give you high quality sound while being neatly tucked away in the ceiling. At 15 1/2" square, the UIW RCS II's will fit snuggly between the standard 16" on-center ceiling joists. They include two 5.5" polypropylene bass/midrange drivers, a single 1" aluminum dome tweeter, and two passive 6.5" low bass radiators.
The drivers and tweeter are angled at 45° with the sound-waves passing over a contoured, ribbed waveguide to improve dispersion. This creates an effect that the sound is coming from the front of the room instead of the ceiling.
- Outer Flange Size: 15-1/2" W x 15-1/2" H x 5-7/8" D
- Cut-Out Size: 14-3/8" W x 14-3/8" H
- Depth from Flange (including drywall thickness): 5-7/8"
- Frequency Response: 22Hz — 30kHz
- Two 5-1/4" high-definition cast-basket bass/midrange ,
- Two 6-1/2" pressure-coupled low bass radiators,
- One 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter
- Recommended Amplification: 10 — 250 watts
- Nominal Impendance: Compatible with 8 ohm outputs
- Retail: $599 ea
The UIW RCS IIs were released in Fall 2006 and originally retailed for around $1200 / pair, but can now be found for less. Definitive Technology also makes a surround speaker version in this line, the UIW RSS II, that can be used to create an in-ceiling surround system. The RCS III and RSS III were announced on August 26th, 2007 as the next-generation of this line and will retail for $999 / pair and $799 / pair respectively.