The Zen is Creative's answer to the iPod Nano featuring a bigger display and larger maximum storage capacity. As of April, 2008, new versions were introduced ranging in capacity from 2GB to 32GB. One of the Zen's strongest features is its strong format support, providing compatibility with most popular audio and video formats removing the need for long conversion processes. The storage of all models can be further increased through the integrated expansion slot that supports the SDHC cards that can add up to 32GB more space.
- 2GB - $79
- 4GB - $99
- 8GB - $129
- 16GB - $199
- 32GB - $299
- 2.5" display with 16.7 million colors and 320x240 resolution
- SD card slot with support for SDHC
- FM tuner
- Integrated voice recorder
- Audio formats: MP3, WMA (and WMA-DRM), AAC (unprotected iTunes Plus tracks) and Audible
- Video formats: WMV, Divx, Xvid, MJPEG, and TIVO to Go
- Battery Life: 25 hours of Audio, 5 hours for Video
- Dimensions: 55 x 83 x 11.3mm (65g)
The Zen's screen is the same size and resolution as the iPod Classic's housed in a body that is similarly sized to the Nano, or a credit card as its marketed. Compared to Creative's previous offerings, the biggest change is the increase to 16.7 million colors which is substantially better than earlier screens.
Similar to other non-iPod players the Zen syncs with all the popular media software, and can be used as a mass storage device. The Zen also syncs with Microsoft Outlook and displays meetings and appointments on its included calendar application.