The Cowon Q5W straddles the line between feature-rich hard drive based portable media player and a stripped down laptop. Running off of the Windows CE 5.0 operating system you can access features such as MSN messenger and an Internet browser, with flash support. Interaction with the player is done through the 5" touch screen with a resolution of 800x480. Accessing the Internet is achieved through the player's integrated WiFi B/G connection. Cowon has also added a wealth of expandability options such as Bluetooth support for accompanying headphones or speakers, and video out capabilities for displaying your media on your television. The Q5W also continues Cowon's trend of format support, handling pretty much every consumer level audio and video codec around.
- 5" touch screen with 800x480 resolution
- Windows CE 5.0 operating system
- Internet Explorer browser, with flash support
- 40GB for $549 | 60GB for $599
- Audio formats: MP3, WMA, ASF, OGG, WAV, FLAC, APE, MPC
- Video formats: DivX, XviD, MPEG4, WMV7/8/9
- Battery life: 13 hours audio, 7 hours video
- Remote control included
The maximum video resolution supported is 720x480 which is the same as DVD discs. For video out, the connections available are S-Video, Composite and Component. Cowon also includes a remote in the box for controlling the player from across the room. The remote is infrared based so you will need to ensure the player is setup properly with a direct line of site to the IR receiver.