The Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS USM is a top-of-the-line super telephoto lens similar to the Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS USM. The major defining difference between the two lenses is that the EF 600mm f/4L IS USM has a 600mm focal length (as opposed to the EF 500mm f/4L IS USM's 500mm focal length), making it better suited for shooting birds and other small wildlife. Otherwise, the two lenses sport the same basic features, including: an inner focusing system with USM, fluorite and UD glass elements and a magnesium alloy lens barrel.
The EF 600mm f/4L IS USM's inner focusing system features an Ultra Sonic Motor and advanced auto focus algorithms in order to provide ultra fast, virtually silent operation and precise auto focus. Its fluorite element and two UD glass elements provide the EF 600mm f/4L IS USM with high-quality, high-contrast images as they virtually eliminate secondary spectrum chromatic aberrations. Meanwhile, the EF 600mm f/4L IS USM's magnesium alloy lens barrel offers lightweight durability while its outer lens offers resistance to water and dust.
- Diagonal Angle of View: 4° 10'
- Lens Construction (elements/groups): 17/13
- Closest Focusing Distance (m): 5.5 m / 18 ft.
- Focus adjustment: Inner focusing system with USM
- Filter Diameter (mm): 52 mm Rear Drop-in
- Fluorite element and two UD glass elements
- Magnesium alloy lens barrel with water- and dust-proof outer lens