You never thought using an inkjet all-in-one could be this easy! It's simple to connect the MFC-J870DW using wireless setup assistant or to your wired Ethernet network. Conveniently print from or scan to your compatible mobile device1 and "touch to connect" directly from your NFC-capable device. Built-in 2-sided printing helps save paper. Includes free Brother Cloud Apps, plus the ability to scan to or print from popular web services via Web Connect from the intuitive 2.7" Color TouchScreen Display with TouchPanel. Reduce printing costs using high-yield inks.5 Direct printing from or scanning to media cards or USB flash drive.5 2-year limited warranty plus free phone support for the life of your product.
- 2.7" TouchScreen color LCD display plus TouchPanel for interactive menu navigation. TouchPanel only shows the keys you need.
- Up to 33 ppm black and 27 ppm color (Fast mode)
- Up to 12 ppm black and 10 ppm color (ISO standard)
- Automatic duplex printing for two-sided documents
- Automatic document feeder allows convenient scan/fax/copy up to 20 pages
- Print directly from your mobile device and scan to or print from popular web services
- Free web-based Brother apps
- Wireless 802.11b/g/n, Ethernet and Hi-Speed USB 2.0 interfaces
- Up to 20-sheet photo by-pass tray
- Media cards and pictbridge
- CD/DVD/Blu-ray Disc printing
When you’re selecting a color inkjet all-in-one for your home or home office, you want a machine that’s going to offer you easy, intuitive operation, plenty of connectivity options, and fast print speeds - all without breaking your budget.
The Brother MFC-J870, part of the Work Smart Series, may be exactly what you’re looking for. It helps improve your productivity with print speeds up to 33ppm black/27ppm color in fast mode and ISO print speeds up to 12ppm black/10ppm color1. It’s compact, so it won’t waste your valuable work space; holds up to 100 sheets in the paper tray; and makes it easy to print, copy, scan, and fax your important business documents.
The wireless assistant completely walks you through network setup without the need for a USB cable or a network password. Share the machine with others on a network using 802.11 b/g/n or wired Ethernet networking, or connect to a single computer using a USB cable4. Using the machine is equally easy. The 2.7” color TouchScreen Display and intelligent TouchPanel that only displays the keys you need make navigating your machine’s robust functionality completely intuitive. The MFC-J870DW is also simple to maintain, thanks to the easy-access, front-loading ink cartridges.
The MFC-J870DW gives you lots of choices for connecting to Apple, Android, Kindle Fire, Windows Phone, or Blackberry mobile devices. Near Field Communication (NFC) is an existing technology found on many of today's smartphones and mobile devices that enables wireless two-way communication between two devices within close proximity of one another. NFC capability automatically establishes a direct connection between your NFC-enabled device and the MFC-J870DW, so you can print or scan without having to connect to a network or enter any login credentials5. The MFC-J870DW also supports wireless printing from your mobile device via6 AirPrint, Google Cloud Print, Brother iPrint & Scan, Cortado Workplace, and Wi-Fi Direct, that allows you to print from PC or mobile devices without the need for a router.
The MFC-J870DW comes with a suite of pre-installed Brother Cloud Apps2 that can be accessed directly from the machine's TouchScreen Display. The Brother Cloud Apps suite is expandable, and Brother is developing new apps that will become available. You can also access popular web services directly from your internet-connected MFC-J870DW from the TouchScreen Display using the Web Connect6 interface.
In addition to being affordable to purchase, the MFC-J870DW includes cost-saving features like duplex (two-sided) printing to help save paper and Ink Save mode to help reduce ink use. Using high-yield replacement ink cartridges4, the MFC-J870DW can help lower your operating costs.
- Print Resolution (maximum): Up to 6000 x 1200 dpi
- Standard Interfaces†: USB, Ethernet, Wireless (802.11 b/g/n), Wi-Fi Direct
- Print Settings: Stack, Sort, N-in-1, Poster, Fit to Page, Book Copy, Base Color Removal, Manual Duplex Copy, Water Mark
- Scanner via color flatbed or auto document feeder
- Document Glass Size: 8.5” x 11.7” (Letter size)
- Scan Resolution: Up to 1200x2400 dpi (optical)
- Fax Modem: 14.4K bps
- Windows: XP / XP Professional X64 / Windows Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8 / Server 2003 / Server 2003 x 64 / Server 2003 R2 / Server 2003 Rs x 64 / Server 2008 / 2008 R2
- Mac: OS X 10.6.x, 10.7.x, 10.8.x
- Free Brother Cloud Apps: Outline & Copy, Outline & Scan, Outline & Remove, Note Scan
- Mobile Device Compatibility2: AirPrint, Google Cloud Print, Brother iPrint&Scan, Wi-Fi Direct & Cortado Workplace
- Web Connectivity6: Facebook, Picasa Web Albums, Flickr, Google Drive, Evernote, Dropbox, Box, and SkyDrive
- NFC Compatible5
- (4) Starter Cartridges LC101 Series
- CD-ROM – Assembly for Windows and Mac
- User's Manual
- Quick Setup Guide
- Disc Tray
- Telephone Line Cord
Frequently Asked Questions
Will it print with only black ink only if the color cartridges run out of ink?
I called Brother to get this question answered: 1 (877) 276-8437. Yes it will print using only black ink, although it is not automatic. Go to Printer Preferences, Advanced tab, select color: check 'grey scale'. It was really a pleasure to help you with this. I learned something myself.
Does it come with ink
Yes, LC101 (standard yield) ink cartridges.
How is the quality of the color printing?
I've been in photography my whole life and used the finest Epson photo printers and Canons too, and this little Brother does just fine as long as you use quality photo paper and select the paper type (and other settings) in the "preferences" before you print. Do some tests using various settings to find your favorites. Note that "matte" paper is MUCH less costly than other types and that "semi-gloss" is MUCH preferable to "gloss" (it's what the pros use).
Add New FAQ
- LCD 2.7" Color TouchScreen display plus TouchPanel
- Fax Modem 14.4K bps
- Networking Wired Ethernet networking, Wireless (802.11b/g/n)
Media Card / Pict Bridge
- Max Print Speed UP to 12/10ppm (ISO/IEC 24734)
- Paper Capacity 100 sheets