The Bowers and Wilkins CCM 818 model is a high-end speaker unit designed specifically to be mounted in-ceiling; the CCM 818 uses the same basic design as the CCM 817 with the exception that it is meant to sit flush against the ceiling unlike the egg shape body design of the 817. The CCM 818 speaker unit is fully equipped with one 8" (200mm) cone for bass/midrange sound and a single 1" dome tweeter for high frequencies.
The CCM 818 uses the same bass/mid-range driver unit as B&W's additional 800 series model speaker units designed from woven Kevlar material; the driver unit is described by B&W to be "punchy" and is based on use for home theater or 2-channel applications. Both driver units are designed with B&W optimum listening axis technology to ensure better quality sound; this simply means that both driver units sit in the case at a 12 degree angle ultimately facing the user's listening area. The B&W optimum listening technology is toned down in the 818 model however as the angle degree is much smaller; there is no word as to how this change specifically alters features from the 817 model unit.
The B&W CCM 818 includes additional features such as a unique blue interior body color for the cone/bass driver, a frequency response rate of 45Hz-22KHz, a nominal impedance rating of 8 ohms, an 11" total body diameter, an included pre-mount kit specifically designed for this model speaker (PMK-C8), and a semi-white matte plastic edge encasing which can be painted to a custom matching ceiling or wall color.
The B&W CCM 818 speaker unit was designed to mimic the specifications and body format of the similar B&W CCM 817 speaker. The 818 offers a larger driver unit (8") but includes the same basic specifications and delivers what B&W claims to be the same quality sound as the CCM 817.
Note: The quoted MSRP is for a single speaker unit; a pair sells for double the MSRP of one speaker.
- High-end in-ceiling speaker unit
- Unique blue body interior for bass/midrange driver
- 12 degree optimum listening axis for both driver units; faces user's listening area
- Semi-white edge encasing which can be custom painted to match ceiling color
- Includes pre-mount kit (PMK-C8)
- Designed to mimic the B&W CCM 817 speaker features yet sit flush against the ceiling when compared to the body design
- Driver Units
- 1 x 1" (25mm) aluminum dome tweeter
- 1 x 8" (200mm) cone bass/midrange
- Frequency Range: -6dB at 40Hz and 50kHz
- Frequency Response: 45Hz-22kHz ±3dB on reference axis
- Sensitivity: 90dB spl (2.83V, 1m)
- Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms (minimum 3.5 Ohms)
- Crossover Frequency: 3.5kHz
- Recommended Amplifier Power: 150W continuous into 8 Ohms on unclipped programme
- Body Finish: Semi-matte white suitable for customising or pre-painting (paint mask included)
- Frame Size/ Diameter: 11" (280mm)
- Weight: 5.7lb (2.6kg)
- Cut-out Size: (Diameter) 10" (254mm)
- Minimum Depth Required: 5.4" (136mm) behind ceiling surface; 0.6" (14mm) in front of ceiling surface