The Bowers and Wilkins CCM 817 model is a mid-grade speaker unit designed specifically to be mounted in-ceiling or in-wall. The CCM 817 speaker unit is fully equipped with one 7" (180mm) cone designed to produce bass/midrange sound and a single 1" dome tweeter for high frequencies; both drivers are designed with B&W optimum listening axis technology which simply means both driver units sit in the speaker at a 30 degree angle that faces toward the user's listening area.
The CCM 817 uses the same model bass/mid-range driver unit as B&W's additional 800 series model speaker units; the Kevlar material driver unit is described by B&W to be "punchy" and is based on use for home theater or 2-channel applications. The B&W CCM 817 includes additional features a unique black interior body color for the cone/bass driver, a frequency response rate of 45Hz-22KHz, a nominal impedance rating of 8 ohms, an 8.5" total body diameter, an included pre-mount kit specifically designed for this model speaker (PMK-817), and a semi-white matte plastic edge encasing which can be painted to a custom matching ceiling or wall color.
The B&W CCM 817 speaker unit was designed to mimic the specifications and body format of the similar B&W CCM 818 speaker. The 818 offers a larger driver unit (8") but includes the same basic specifications and delivers what B&W claims to be the same quality sound as the CCM 817. This means a consumer looking to spend less on an in-ceiling set could in fact purchase the CCM 817 model and expect the same basic features and quality as the higher end models in the series.
Note: The quoted MSRP is for a single speaker unit; a pair sells for double the MSRP of one speaker.
- Mid-grade in-ceiling speaker unit
- Unique egg shaped body design
- Black interior cone material for bass/midrange driver
- 30 degree optimum listening axis for both driver units
- The Coaxial tweeter is mounted on swing out dog fixings for greater sound pronunciation
- Semi-white edge encasing which can be custom painted to match ceiling color
- Includes pre-mount kit (PMK-817)
- Designed to mimic the higher end B&W CCM 818 speaker
- Driver Units
- 1 x 1" (25mm) Nautilus tube-loaded aluminum dome tweeter
- 1 x 7" (180mm) woven Kevlar cone bass/midrange
- Frequency Range: -6dB at 40Hz and 50kHz
- Frequency Response: 45Hz-22kHz ±3dB on reference axis
- Sensitivity: 89dB spl (2.83V, 1m)
- Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms (minimum 3.5 Ohms)
- Crossover Frequency: 3.5kHz
- Recommended Amplifier Power: 20W-150W continuous into 8 Ohms on unclipped programme
- Body Finish: Semi-matte white suitable for customising or pre-painting (paint mask included)
- Frame Size/ Diameter: 10.7" x 8.5" or 271mm x 242mm
- Weight: 5.7lb (2.6kg)
- Cut-out Size: (Diameter) 9.2" (234mm)
- Minimum Depth Required: 4" (102mm) from ceiling surface
- Protrusion: 2.5" (63mm)