The Asus Rampage III GENE is a high-end Intel X58 chipset motherboard similar to the Asus Rampage III Extreme. Due to its smaller microATX form factor, the Rampage III GENE lacks a few features that the Rampage III Extreme boasts, most notably 2 less PCIe 2.0 x16 lanes (the Rampage III Extreme has 4, the Rampage III GENE, 2) and an eSATA port. Otherwise, though, the Rampage III GENE sports most of the same main features, including an LGA1366 socket type, tri-channel DDR3 RAM support, ATI CrossFireX and Nvidia SLI capability, USB 3.0 support and SATA 6 ports.
The Rampage III GENE's LGA1366 socket supports all Intel Core i7 9xx and 9xx Extreme Edition processors, including the 6-core i7 980X, as well as up to 24GB of tri-channel DDR3 RAM with data transfer rates of 2200(O.C.), 2133(O.C.), 2000(O.C.), 1800(O.C.), 1600, 1333 and 1066MHz. Its 2 PCIe 2.0 x16 graphics card lanes allow for Nvidia SLI and ATI CrossFireX dual-GPU setups in dual x16 mode. Additionally, the Rampage III GENE's 2 USB 3.0/2.0 ports allow for external data transfer rates of up to 5Gb/s with compatible USB 3.0 devices while its 2 SATA 6 ports allow for 6Gb/s internal data transfer rates with compatible SATA devices.
- Intel X58 Express Chipset
- LGA1366 socket supports Intel Core i7 9xx processors
- Up to 24GB tri-channel DDR3 RAM support @ 2200(O.C.), 2133(O.C.), 2000(O.C.), 1800(O.C.), 1600, 1333 and 1066MHz
- 2 x PCIe 2.0 x16, 1 x PCIe x4, 1 x PCI 2.2
- Supports Nvidia SLI and ATI CrossFireX
- 2x USB 3.0/2.0 ports (at back panel), 11x USB 2.0/1.1 ports (4 ports at mid-board, 6 ports at back panel, 1 reserved for ROG Connect), 2x SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports
- Republic of Gamers exclusive features such as ROG Connect for easier overclocking