The Asus Maximus III GENE is a high-end Intel P55 chipset motherboard similar to the Asus Maximus III Formula. The only noticeable difference between the Maximus III GENE and Maximus III Rampage is form factor: the Maximus III GENE follows the uATX form factor while the Maximus III Formula sports standard ATX, allowing the Maximus III GENE to fit into much smaller PC cases. Otherwise, the two motherboards sport the same major features, namely: an LGA1156 CPU socket, support for up to 16GB of DDR3 RAM, Nvidia SLI/ATI CrossFireX multi-GPU support and Republic of Gamer-exclusive overclocking functionality.
The Maximus III GENE's LGA1156 CPU socket makes it compatible with any Intel Core i3, i5 or i7-8xx processor while its 4 DIMM slots support up to 16GB of DDR3 RAM with data transfer rates of 2133(O.C.), 2000(O.C.), 1600, 1333 and 1066MHz. Its 2 PCIe 2.0 x16 expansion slots and Nvidia SLI/ATI CrossFireX multi-GPU compatibility allow the Maximus III GENE to handle 2 graphics processors in x8/x8 mode. Additionally, the Maximus III GENE's Republic of Gamer functions provide easier overclocking and monitoring of your PC's components.
- LGA1156 socket supports Intel Core i3, i5 or i7-8xx processor types
- Supports up to 16GB of dual-channel DDR3 RAM @ 2133(O.C.), 2000(O.C.), 1600, 1333 and 1066MHz
- Nvidia SLI/ATI CrossFireX multi-GPU compatible
- Expansion slots: 2x PCIe 2.0 x16, 1x PCIe x4 , 1x PCI 2.2
- 14 USB 2.0/1.1 ports (5 ports at mid-board, 9 ports at back panel)
- 6 xSATA 3.0 Gb/s ports, 1x External SATA 3.0 Gb/s port (SATA On-the-Go)
- Gigabit LAN controller featuring AI NET2
- ROG-exclusive features for enhanced overclocking