The Asus Maximus III Formula is a high-end Intel P55 chipset-based motherboard similar to the Asus Maximus III Extreme. Aimed more at the gamer willing to sacrifice bleeding-edge technology for a lower price point, the Maximus III Formula lacks some of the Maximus III Extreme's more extreme features, namely: USB 3.0, SATA 6.0Gb/s and 5 PCIe 2.0 x16 expansion slots (the Maximus III Formula sports 2 of these). Otherwise, the Maximus III Formula sports many of the same high-end features as the Maximus III Extreme, including: an LGA1156 CPU socket, support for up to 16GB of DDR3 RAM, Republic of Gamers-specific software and Nvidia SLI/ATI CrossFireX dual-GPU support.
The Maximus III Formula's LGA1156 socket allows it to handle Intel Core i3, i5 and i7-8xx processors while its 4 DIMM slots allow for up to 16GB of dual-channel DDR3 RAM at data transfer rates of 2133(O.C.), 2000(O.C.), 1800(O.C.), 1600, 1333 and 1066MHz. Its 2 PCIe 2.0 x16 expansion slots allow the Maximus III Formula to handle dual-GPU setups with either Nvidia SLI or ATI CrossFireX setups in x8 x8 mode. Additionally, the Maximus III Formula sports a number of Republic of Gamers-exclusive features which allow for easy overclocking and monitoring of hardware.
- LGA1156 socket supports Intel Core i3, i5 or i7-8xx processor types
- Supports up to 16GB of dual-channel DDR3 RAM @ 2133(O.C.), 2000(O.C.), 1800(O.C.), 1600, 1333 and 1066MHz
- Nvidia SLI/ATI CrossFireX multi-GPU compatible
- Expansion slots: 2x PCIe 2.0 x16, 1x PCIe x16, 2x PCIe x1 , 2x PCI 2.2
- 14 USB 2.0/1.1 ports (5 ports at mid-board, 9 ports at back panel)
- 6 xSATA 3.0 Gb/s ports, 2 x SATA 3.0 Gb/s port (Red) supporting Hardware RAID 0 and 1 (SPD_HDD1 + SPD_HDD2), 1x External SATA 3.0 Gb/s port (SATA On-the-Go)
- Realtek RTL8112L Gigabit LAN controller
- ROG-exclusive features for enhanced overclocking