The Asus Maximus III Extreme is a high-end Intel P55 chipset motherboard aimed at the hardcore gamer crowd. Featuring support for Intel Core i3, i5 and i7 processors, up to 16GB of dual-channel DDR3 RAM and Nvidia SLI/ATI CrossFireX multi-GPU setups, the Maximus III Extreme offers much in the way of high-performance compatibility. Additionally, the Maximus III Extreme boasts USB 3.0 and SATA 6 Gb/s support.
The Maximus III Extreme sports an LGA1156 CPU socket, allowing it to function with any Intel Core i3, i5 or i7-8xx processor while its 4 DIMM slots support up to 16GB of dual-channel DDR3 RAM with data transfer rates of 2200(O.C.), 2133(O.C.), 2000(O.C.), 1800(O.C.), 1600, 1333 and 1066MHz. It features 5 PCIe 2.0 x16 expansion slots, allowing the Maximus III Extreme to operate with a total of 5 GPUs as it supports both Nvidia SLI and ATI CrossFireX configurations: dual at x16, triple at x 16 x16 x8, quad x8, or 5-way x8. Meanwhile, the Maximus III Extreme's 2 USB 3.0/2.0 ports allow it to transfer data at up to 5Gb/s when used with USB 3.0 devices while its 2 SATA 6.0Gb/s connectors ensure transfer rates appropriate for Solid State hard drives.
- LGA1156 socket supports Intel Core i3, i5 or i7-8xx processor types
- Supports up to 16GB of dual-channel DDR3 RAM @ 2200(O.C.), 2133(O.C.), 2000(O.C.), 1800(O.C.), 1600, 1333 and 1066MHz
- Nvidia SLI/ATI CrossFireX multi-GPU compatible
- Expansion slots: 5x PCIe 2.0 x16, 1 x PCI 2.2
- 2x USB 3.0/2.0 ports (at back I/O), 11x USB 2.0 ports (4 ports at mid-board, 7 ports at back I/O, 1 port at back I/O is also for ROG connect)
- 6x SATA 3.0 Gb/s ports (Gray) , 1x External SATA 3.0 Gb/s port (SATA On-the-Go), 2x SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (Red)
- Realtek RTL8112L Gigabit LAN controller