The F8Vr is a general purpose notebook from Asus. Introduced a year after the rest of the F8 series in August of 2008, the F8Vr is still built on the now outdated Centrino platform and features the same scratch resistant metallic exterior, hybrid TV tuner with remote, the latest in network connectivity (802.11 N and Bluetooth) and a fast Direct X 10 compatible video card from ATI for media and gaming. The newer laptop comes with an additional perks: the new Express Gate operating system which can boot in 8 seconds giving fast access to the Internet, basic communication software and users files. With a regular 6 cell battery, the device lasts 2 and a half hours on power saving mode. While it does not provide exceptional performance in any definition of the word, the F8Vr does present a luxury alternative to the many bland looking entry level laptops - without a luxurious price tag. The laptop is available in five colours: black, blue, red, white and pink and is cheaper than the original series with a MSRP of $1299.
- Platform: Centrino, Intel C2D
- Graphics: 14.1" LCD widescreen (1440 x 900) powered by the ATI Radeon 3470 (256GB dedicated VRAM)
- Network connectivity: Integrated 802.11a/b/g/n, bluetooth 2.0, Gigabit Ethernet
- I/O & Expansion: 1 x Express card, 1 x Microphone-in jack, 1 x Headphone-out jack (S/PDIF), 1 x VGA port/Mini D-sub 15-pin for external monitor, 1 x TV Out (S-Video composite), 5 x USB 2.0 ports, 1 x IEEE 1394 port, 1 x RJ11 Modem jack for phone line, 1 x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert, 1 x HDMI, 1 x E-SATA
- Battery: 6-cell (2.5 hours on battery saving settings)
- Dimentions: 34 x 24.4 x 3.72cm (W x D x H)
- Weight: 5.7 pounds (with battery)