The Archos 405 portable media player (PMP) is the value-priced (MSRP $170), stripped down version of the larger flagship Archos 605 WiFi ($230 - $400). It drops WiFi and doesn't have a touch screen, but is smaller and cheaper. It features a vivid 3.5" TFT LCD screen with a 320 x 240 resolution that is much larger than other media players at this price point like the Apple iPod Nano ($150 - $200) with its 2.0" LCD.
- 3.0" TFT LCD (NOT touch-screen)
- 2GB capacity with SD expansion slot
- Customizable with many plugins and accessories
- Can be used as a DVR with DVR Station Accessory
- Includes both a standard USB and proprietary USB connection
- Available extended battery pack that can double as a stand
- Battery life: video - 5.5 hours, audio - 16 hours
- dimensions: 4" x 3" x 0.5"
- weight: 4.2 oz.
Archos advertises that the 605 supports MPEG-4 and WMV video and MP3, WMA, and WAV audio, however it features native support for the popular DivX and XviD video encoding schemes. It does not support the open-source OGG Vorbis audio format. The Cinema plugin the 605 can be extended to play MPEG-2 encoding video (.vob, .mpg, .ps), and the Video podcast plugin adds H.264 audio/video support (used by iTunes, and podcasts).
The Archos 405 was released on August 30th, 2007 and retails for around $170. It is part of the Generation 5 product line Archos 605 WiFi, Archos TV, Archos 705 WiFi, and Archos 105.