The Apple Time Capsule is an external hard drive equipped with WiFi meant to be used as an automatic backup tool and is a refresh of the previous Time Capsule iteration. The primary improvement introduced in 2011 is increased storage space: 3TB as opposed to the previous 2TB limit. Otherwise, the two Time Capsule storage devices sport the same features, including automatic backup of Mac computers and an easy setup.
The Time Capsule can be connected to any Mac or PC by way of USB while also sporting an Ethernet WAN port for connecting a DSL or cable modem, three Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports for connecting computers or network devices and 802.11a/b/g/n wireless. Its Time Capsule software allows the hard drive to be used as an automatic backup server for important data. Meanwhile, the Time Capsule is designed to be setup and ready to backup within a matter of minutes.
- 3TB Serial ATA server-grade hard disk drive
- Gigabit Ethernet WAN and Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports
- USB port for connecting a USB printer or USB external hard drive
- 802.11n wireless
- Automatically backup data with Time Capsule software
- Compatible with Wi-Fi Certified 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, or 802.11n enabled Mac computers, iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, and Windows-based PCs
- WPA, WPA2 and WEP security options